Two-Day workshop on “Strengthening divisional HMIS” in Sylhet Division
Date: 10 April – 11 April, 2016
Venue: Conference Room, Sylhet Divisional Health Office
A two-day workshop was organized by MIS, DGHS with key stakeholders supporting strengthening divisional MIS for Sylhet division from 10 April to 11 April, 2016 in Conference Room, Sylhet Divisional Health Office from 9.00 AM to 5.00 PM. The workshop was supported by DGHS, UNICEF, GIZ and icddr,b EU-supported project ‘Strengthening
Health, Applying Research Evidence (SHARE)’ The main objective of this workshop was to increase district health managers’ capacity of use and interpretation of data and present their current situation based on DHIS2 data.
Registration and inauguration
Participants: Civil surgeons from Sylhet, Habiganj, Sunamganj and Maulavi Bazar district, Superintendent from district hospitals, MOCS from all CS office , Statistical Asst. from all CS office and 250 bed hospital Maulavi Bazar, RMO from Sadar hospital.
The two-day HMIS workshop started with registration and inaugural session. The inaugural session was chaired by Dr. Gour Moni Sinha, Director Health, Sylhet Division. Then welcome speech provided by Dr. Md. Habibur Rahman, Civil Surgeon, Sylhet and Dr. Md. Bashirul Islam, Consulting Adviser, MIS, DGHS and Dr. A.F.M Kamruzzaman, Deputy Chief, MIS expressed the importance of this workshop. Objectives of the workshop were presented by Dr. A.S.M Sayem, HMIS Planning Officer, UNICEF. In his speech he expressed the key objectives of this workshop. He said that strengthening divisional MIS will bring change in health system.
Video message from Prof. Abul Kalam Azad
A video message from Professor Dr. Abul Kalam Azad, Additional Director General (Admin) & Director, Management Information System (MIS) was shared at the beginning of the session. In the video message he gave emphasis on evidence-based decision/policy making using the DHIS2 for the divisional and district level health managers. In his speech he provided some examples so that managers understand how to take decisions using this system.
Overview of MIS
Overview of MIS, DGHS was presented by Dr. A.S.M Sayem, HMIS Planning Officer, UNICEF. In the presentation he provided brief description of all the HMIS applications.
HMIS concept and indicators
Muhammad Abdul Hannan Khan, Senior Technical Advisor, GIZ presented HMIS concept and indicators. He shared
why DHIS2 was introduced in HMIS system and discussed basic concept of indicators.
Data collection forms – Aggregated
Mohammad Saiful Islam, Senior Programmer, icddr,b presented existing data collection forms-aggregated & analysis of data from the month of March, 2016 for Sylhet division from EOC, IMCI, CSBA, hospital bed statement, OPD patient data elements etc.
- After demonstration on the Sylhet division data from DHIS2 it was found that there were some data entry errors. In the workshop the corresponding Civil Surgeon immediately solved the errors with the help of statistician and mentioned that they will monitor the data monthly.
- The Divisional Director, Sylhet Division mentioned that the last two year the reporting rate was poor but it is now increasing and the maternal health especially ANC and PNC service reporting is better than other divisions.
- Referral rate is higher from community clinic and Upazila. Managers mentioned that they will monitor the issue and need to figure out why the rate is increasing.
- Jannatul Ferdous, Consultant icddr,b mentioned that in Upazila level if it is possible to have a monthly/ weekly meeting and review of the services should be analyzed using DHIS2.
Data Analysis and Use
Dr. ASM Sayem from UNICEF presented on how to analyze data and how to analyse and interpret. After that Mr. Mohammad Ullah, Technical Advisor-Health, GIZ demonstrated how to create dashboard, pivot table, Data Visualizer and GIS.
|Group work (analysis and presentation)|
Then we conducted a group work. Group was divided into each district. Each district had Civil Surgeon, RMO and Upazila Statistician. For each group, one facilitator was assigned to assist them. They were requested to create ten dashboard tabs. On day one, they presented five tabs and on day two, they presented the remaining five tabs using DHIS2 pivot table, chart and GIS Map. The dashboard tabs were: Child Health, Maternal Health, Reporting Status, Logistics, Death, Diseases Burden, Indicators, Hospital Information, Nutrition and Health facilities.
Recap of day-1
Dr. Jannatul Ferdous, Consultant, icddr,b and Dr. ASM Sayem from UNICEF recapped the day-one session. They also presented how health managers such as line directors, divisional directors, and civil surgeons can interpret the data and how they can demand the necessary information from the statisticians and monitor data by themselves. Dr. Sayem also demonstrated the HMIS web-portal.
Group Work and Presentation
- Group Task – Preparation of dashboard; five case studies were given to the corresponding district group. For each group, one facilitator was assigned to help them.
2. Group work presentations – Each civil surgeon presented from the group about the reporting rates, IMCI, EMoC, Maternal death, C-Section rate, diarrhea, pneumonia, hospital equipments and logistics dashboards of that respective district.
Once the group-wise presentation and discussion was completed, the chair of the workshop Dr. Gour Moni Sinha, Director Health, Sylhet Division made his concluding remarks of two-day’s workshop. In his concluding remarks, the chairman of the workshop said that the workshop has been very successful. He mentioned that now it is the time to move forward for data quality and accuracy so that the managers can use the system for taking their decision on right time. Finally he thanks all the organizers and participants of the workshop and announced the closure of the workshop.